Halifax, Nova Scotia
The Shaw Group is one of Eastern Canada’s leading natural resource manufacturers and community developers, employing approximately 300 people and producing nearly 1,000 products. With a strong focus on products for the construction industry, Shaw operates five retail centres and more than 300 dealers sell Shaw Group products. Shaw’s divisions and subsidiaries include: Shaw Brick, Shaw Precast Solutions, Shaw Resources, Clayton Developments, Prestige Homes and Ven-Rez Products. Each Shaw Group operation is a leader in its own field. Their traditional market area of Atlantic Canada has grown to include all of North America. The Shaw Group also exports to Japan, China, Sweden, and Germany.
The Shaw Group has been the recipient of numerous awards including one of Canada’s 50 Best Managed Companies, for the past 17 years.
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the Corporate Controller reviews the monthly financial statements for all members of the Group and attends monthly divisional meetings to discuss results and issues. The position also monitors administrative and information processes to ensure best practices. Other responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Accurate and timely reporting of consolidated results
- Detailed analysis of monthly results along with trend analysis
- Managing cash flow and treasury functions
- Managing, forecasting and reporting on banking agreements and covenants
- Managing the annual audit including income tax compliance
- Identifying risks and implementing mitigation measures
- Working with Divisional Controllers
- Managing complex tax compliance and filings
- Preparing and reviewing of annual business plan
- Leading/participating in strategic and growth initiatives
The ideal candidate for this position will have an undergraduate degree in business, commerce, accounting or a related discipline, combined with an accounting designation and a minimum of ten years of experience. Possessing a solid business acumen and a desire for career growth, the successful candidate will have excellent interpersonal and communication skills. The Corporate Controller must be able to work with outside groups or organizations to establish systems and gain knowledge of the key markets in which Shaw operates. Knowledge of real estate and corporate and personal taxation would be an asset. Interested candidates can contact Ian Sullivan via email@example.com.