Halifax, Nova Scotia
The Organization for Nova Scotia Innovation Driven Enterprise (ONSIDE) is a newly established Halifax-based non-profit focused on strengthening the Nova Scotia ecosystem for inclusive, innovation-driven entrepreneurship. The mandate of the organization is to Convene individuals and organizations in a network, building connections and fostering partnership within NS to advance the ecosystem, Connect efforts within the ecosystem, to other regional and national organizations, and to under-represented groups in Nova Scotia, to facilitate partnerships and share best practices, and Catalyze by building broader awareness and understanding of the IDE ecosystem in Nova Scotia, celebrating success and mobilizing resources. Through these activities, ONSIDE will contribute to the increasing prosperity of Nova Scotia.
Several key values underpin the ONSIDE mandate:
- Entrepreneur focused, strengthening the ecosystem to develop and support entrepreneurs.
- Collective Impact, recognizing that advancing innovation requires understanding and action by players in all sectors, including risk capital, corporate, government, post-secondary, and entrepreneurial.
- Diversity & Inclusion recognizing that these are as central Canadian values which contribute to greater economic
- Open and Transparent, engaging openly and transparently with the public.
- Measurable Action, with a bias towards taking action. Experimenting, measuring and iterating.
- Amplification, always seeking to work with and through others in the ecosystem. Identifying ONSIDE as a backbone organization which underpins and supports new and existing efforts.
Reporting to the Board, the ONSIDE Executive Director will provide oversight for the entire organization, helping to set and execute on the strategic plan and budget, and management of all employees. Goals and relevant key performance indicators for the ONSIDE Executive Director will be derived in partnership with the Board.
- Execute the strategy as set with the Board.
- Provide financial stewardship to the organization.
- Manage all ONSIDE employees.
- Report quarterly to the Board on strategic initiatives and financial position.
- Connect with change agents for innovation in Nova Scotia and elsewhere in Atlantic Canada through outreach to an advisory group
- Monitor activities across the NS IDE ecosystem, by checking in regularly with key stakeholders, and supporting and promoting events across the region to identify gaps and opportunities for amplification
- Catalyze the development of working groups to tackle key issues identified in the NS innovation ecosystem
- Connect with other MIT-REAP alumni stakeholders and backbone organizations around the world, sharing lessons and best practices back in Nova Scotia. Make similar connections with other world-class ecosystem builders, like Innovation Norway.
- Build pathways between the IDE ecosystem and under-represented communities
- Develop and execute a successful social media strategy, including Twitter, to bring higher profile to innovation ecosystem activities across Nova Scotia
- Develop other innovative communication tools to build further awareness and engagement on the ecosystem
- Bachelor degree
- Preference given to someone with entrepreneurial experience
- Preference given to someone with a strong background in communications
- Preference given to someone with experience in multi-stakeholder collaboration
- Excellent organizational skills and time management
- Critical thinker; can synthesize information to develop strategic initiatives
- Outstanding interpersonal skills; ability to connect with diverse and under-represented stakeholders across the entire ecosystem and beyond.
- Ability to travel extensively in Nova Scotia and regionally.
- Embraces the value of transparency
- Ability to anticipate and solve problems in a diverse environment with competing interests
- Ability to recognize when to consult with other external experts
- Excellent communication, facilitation, and leadership skills
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
Interested candidates can forward their resume to Craig Coady at email@example.com and Natalie Isaacs at firstname.lastname@example.org