Halifax, Nova Scotia
In response to continued growth and success, our Client’s professional team is growing. They seek a highly motivated and experienced Paralegal to assist with contract administration, intellectual property and risk assessment matters.
Our client is the fastest growing toy company in North America, doing business in over 60 countries, and internationally recognized for our award winning brands and high quality products. We expect to hire up to 40 new creative professionals in the coming year!
Joining our client gives you the experience of working in a major international company with the growth potential, hands on experience, and learning opportunities one would find in a much smaller company. Our main focus is to develop toys that create moments of awe and wonder for children all around the globe. We provide a working environment that is full of fast-paced excitement, collaborative creativity, and opportunity.
The ideal candidate will have experience in contracts administration and management of trademark, copyright and patent clearance, registration, and renewal matters. This role requires a high level of attention to detail, strong client services orientation, and excellent follow up and communication skills. The best candidate likely has training received at a larger law firm or other global business, and is smart, highly organized, efficient, thinks creatively, has a positive work attitude, and is comfortable following directions as well as working independently.
Core duties and responsibilities:
- Manage company in-house systems for tracking status, deadlines and actions due in contract and intellectual property matters
- Track and assist with trademark clearance searches
- Assist outside legal counsel with trademark, copyright and patent filings
- Monitor intellectual property filings and maintain certificates of registration
- Review and manage all legal correspondence and drafting, including contracts, leases, terms and conditions, licenses, and non-disclosure agreements and the like
- Litigation support (court filings, litigation holds, evidence collection and management)
- Liaise with intellectual property law firms in North America and Asia
- Preparation and filing of routine corporate documents, maintain corporate records
Required skills and knowledge:
- Bachelor’s degree in business management, paralegal studies or equivalent on-the-job experience and proven expertise
- 4-8 years experience as a Paralegal
- Knowledge of Intellectual Property clearance, filing, and prosecution practices and rules
- Ability to work with multiple departments with conflicting and demanding deadlines
- Flexible and able to adapt to last minute direction and changes with demonstrated ability to work in a creative, fast-paced environment
Additional experience helpful:
- Knowledge of advertising law and privacy law
- Knowledge of Charter of the French Language in relation to packaging and labels
- Business French written and spoken
- Litigation support (court filings, evidence collection and management)
- Knowledge of WebTMS or similar trademark docketing software
- Experience in enforcement work, cease and desist letters, social media takedowns, trademark investigations, and UDRP domain name dispute proceedings
- Promotions and advertising experience, including sweepstakes and contests
- Preparation and management of U.S. and Canadian copyright filings
- Knowledge of Customs recordals and other boarder measures to protect intellectual property rights
To be considered, please submit your resume to: email@example.com