Halifax, Nova Scotia
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer and working closely with Hotel Management in an executive leadership role, the Hotel Controller is responsible for delivering accurate and timely monthly financial statements. The position is key to maximizing profitability by facilitating the achievement of hotel budget objectives and resourcing ways to streamline costs.
The successful candidate's responsibilities and essential job functions include but are not limited to the following:
- Provide budget information to determine operational targets and decisions.
- Analyze Hotels performance versus budget and investigate variances as required.
- Monitor operational expenditures in conjunction with approved budgets.
- Analyze opportunities for profit improvement, including conducting cost/benefit analysis, assist in negotiating with vendors/contractors, etc.
- Work with Dept heads to provide forecasts for revenues and expenses, trend analysis and labour productivity.
- Work with the Accounting Coordinator to ensure Accounts Receivable collection targets are met in accordance with financial policies.
- Oversee the reconciliation of all supplier accounts, postings to payables, and payments to vendors in accordance with due dates and cash flow projections.
- Assist in the set up, tracking, recording, and processing of all payrolls.
- Establish and audit internal financial controls, including purchasing, cash handling and disbursements, inventories, hotel equipment, master keys, and associate payroll.
- Manage month-end and year-end accounting processes including account reconciliations, inventories, accruals and balance sheet analysis.
- Produce complete, accurate, timely and meaningful periodic data/reports to hotel management and corporate office in accordance with company reporting requirements and policies.
- Ensure the accuracy of night audit transactions and monitor their adherence to proper procedures.
- Ensure the effectiveness of purchasing and receiving systems, and the control of supplies with proper requisition procedures.
- Protect and strengthen competitive advantage by advocating and supporting sound business and financial decision making.
- Seek, identify and implement throughout the hotel best practices that will serve to enhance revenues, guest service and improve cost and productivity efficiencies.
- Apply effective leadership through clear direction, training, and performance measures.
- Complete hotel brand financial reporting, reconciliations, taxation and expenses.
The ideal candidate will possess the following skills:
- Ability to efficiently multitask in a fast-paced environment and maintain a high-level attention to detail.
- Possess strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Demonstrated professional demeanor and the ability to maintain confidential information.
- Have impeccable integrity and ethics and be trustworthy and discrete.
- Be self-motivated and able to manage people and processes
- Strong knowledge in full cycle accounting and using software such as Sage Accpac.
- Excellent computer skills and experienced in MS Office suite.
- Experience with Opera, Aloha and CI/TY an asset.
- Experience with Marriott hotels and platforms an asset.
Interested candidates can forward their resume to Jackie Gilbert via email@example.com