Director of Accounting
Halifax, Nova Scotia
For over 40 years, The Armour Group Limited has been recognized as one of the leading real estate development companies in Atlantic Canada. The Armour Group is unique in its integration of concept, development, construction and management of all assets internally. These are particularly exciting times at The Armour Group with a number of new projects on the horizon. The Armour Group Limited is seeking a Director of Accounting to join their growing team!
Director of Accounting is an integral member of the management team. The candidate must have the capability and work ethic to manage multiple priorities in a diverse, yet demanding work environment.
He or she should possess excellent communication skills both verbally and in writing and be a team player. Strong leadership skills and an analytical mind are a must.
Overseeing a team of six (6) he or she is responsible for implementing and maintaining a system of internal controls that will ensure that company assets are adequately safeguarded and that all financial statements are prepared in compliance with all financial policies and GAAP.
Key Responsibilities :
- Ensuring that the reporting of financial and related information is timely, accurate and efficient.
- Is responsible to ensure that credit risk is balanced with business objectives, deadlines are met and that only valid claims with proper management authorization are paid.
- Oversees the general accounting function, which includes inter-company accounting, cash management / reconciliation, financial statement preparation, balance sheet management.
- Accountable for ensuring that policies and procedures (internal controls) are in place to provide reasonable assurance that the company assets are protected.
- Provides technical accounting GAAP guidance and support to all company entities.
- Provides detailed reports to senior executive as required.
Ensure Compliance with Regulations
- Ensures that company financial records, under responsibility, are maintained in compliance with company policies and GAAP.
- Responsible for reviewing monthly / quarterly account reconciliation and other documents to ensure this compliance.
- Ensuring that the accounting department adheres to all processes so as to properly manage the monthly / yearly accounting cycles and other requirements as set out by the organization.
- Oversee government regulatory reporting.
Manage Staff :
- Coordinates work relating to both internal and external audits in the periodic review of the company financial records.
- Is further responsible for the implementation of agreed upon recommendations, related to areas of responsibility, resulting from the audit findings.
- Ensures that the accounting department is staffed with qualified financial personnel capable of meeting the objectives and responsibilities, noted above.
Responsible for continued development of these associates.
- Provide strong leadership in the area of accounting and administration.
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of their department, ensuring all tasks and projects are being completed as planned.
Education and Experience :
- Bachelor’s degree as well as an accounting designation are required.
Prior Experience :
- 5 + years of management experience.
- Demonstrated ability to form, lead and develop high-performing teams.
- Ability to work collaboratively across departmental functions.
- Experience in a real estate development and / or management company would be considered an asset.
- Strong knowledge of GAAP, internal controls and financial reporting, required.
- Excellent communication and leadership skills are mandatory.
- Experience with Property management software would be considered an asset.