Venor is proud to partner with Binogi on their search for a Backend Engineer in Halifax, NS! Binogi creates educational animated videos and interactive quizzes, tailored to the school curriculum in countries around the world. Students, teachers, and parents can learn, play, and be inspired through Binogi’s web and mobile apps. Binogi is a passionate company who believes that knowledge should be shared, and they strive to be students’ first choice when it comes to learning tools.
Tech in Scope
PHP, Laravel with Eloquent, MySQL and AWS.
What you’ll be doing
As a Backend Engineer, you will create and extend a robust API architecture, solve technical challenges, and apply excellent engineering practices. You will be a key part of transforming Binogi’s codebase into microservices and engineering their APIs to scale internationally.
Regular responsibilities include:
- API microservice development in PHP (Laravel) and SQL
- Establishing engineering practices, crucially including a high level of automation, clean code style, fast deployment and fail-early tests
- Early engineering input on feature design, including exploration and API prototyping with UX/UI designers and our Product Owner
- Work with agile work processes (Scrum/Kanban)
- Participate in the company’s development of existing products by building new features and improving quality, robustness, security, and scalability
- Further the company’s efforts of developing new products with respect to the company’s needs
- Participate in the team’s agile workflow rituals – daily standup, releases, release notes, velocity count, retrospectives, code reviews, etc
What we’re looking for
- 2+ years experience of writing well-structured and clean backend API code (ideally in PHP, but node.js or another server side language will be considered)
- Confident in writing SQL queries, in MySQL as well as using ORMs
- Comfortable with Git and code reviews
- Familiarity with Laravel, both its features and quirks, is considered an asset
- Skills in cloud infrastructure, database design, big data, machine learning considered an asset
- Scrum Master certification is considered an asset
Other nice to haves:
- Willingness to learn and work with new technologies (ideally AWS)
- Superb written and verbal communication and being comfortable working with multiple departments within the company
- Self-driven but the willingness and ability to work within a team environment
- Highly motivated and energized about the work you’re doing
- Proven problem-solving skills and the ability to adapt in a changing environment
- Top-notch organization and time-management skills
What’s in it for you
Flexibility – Work from the Binogi office space or your couch. The choice is yours!
Time Away – Binogi offers its employees 4 weeks of paid vacation to allow you to decompress and come back to work feeling refreshed.
Impact – By working with Binogi, you are helping to get learning materials in front of children across the world!
At Venor and Binogi, we embrace a culture of belonging in the workplace. No matter who you are, where you’re from, how you think, what you believe in, or who you love, we welcome your application. We all come from different backgrounds and different walks of life, bringing in unique perspectives and experiences. We encourage applications from 2SLGBTQ+, Black, Indigenous, and People of Colour (BIPOC), women, newcomers to Canada, and people with disabilities. If you require any accommodation in the application and interview process, please let us know (including different materials or otherwise).
Interested candidates can reach out to Anna Bryant via email@example.com and/or Nick Misener via firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.