Venor has partnered with CBCL on their search to find a Branch Manager to join their management team in St. John’s, NL.
CBCL has earned repeated recognition as one of Canada’s Top Small and Medium Employers and one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies. Our multitalented group of professionals offer consulting in the Infrastructure, Water and Wastewater, Buildings, Industrial, and Earth and Environment sectors. We value our people, our communities, and our almost 70-year history, and look forward to continuing our steady growth.
CBCL operates from its twelve offices in Halifax and Sydney, NS; Charlottetown, PE; Saint John, Fredericton and Moncton, NB; St. John’s, NL, and Ottawa, ON.
Reporting to the VP, Atlantic; the Branch Manager will be responsible for leading a team of more than 20 multi-disciplined engineering professionals in the office, with a mixture of direct reports who work in the Municipal Engineering field and indirect reports who work in other sectors.
Your Key Responsibilities:
- Responsible for day-to-day operations of the St. John’s office including quality assurance, marketing, sales, developing and maintaining client relationships, and staff development;
- Responsible for the recruitment, development and retention of employees;
- Provide local leadership, with a responsibility to grow our client base, operations, and team regionally. Promote CBCL brand through participation in public affairs, including attendance at industry events, conferences, symposiums, and strategic regional functions;
- Provide leadership to create a positive safety culture within the team, aligned with CBCL’s Safety Program;
- Collaborate with management in assigning personnel to support proposals and projects. Lead preparation of proposal submissions for branch-related work;
- Review and develop workload forecasting, review financial results and work-in progress for projects;
- Conduct branch project reviews to assess project quality and adherence to project schedule and profitability objectives.
- Cultivate a cohesive work environment and collaborative culture for all staff, including those that report to other managers remotely. The Branch Manager shall be available to all St. John’s staff regardless of which manager they report to.
Your Capabilities and Credentials:
- Minimum of 10 years of technical experience, ideally as an Engineer, Scientist, or Technologist;
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in a people leadership capacity;
- Bachelor’s degree or diploma in a relevant technical discipline;
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills. The successful candidate will be required to build relationships within the branch and throughout the organization, demonstrating leadership qualities which foster a culture of teamwork and collaboration;
- Motivating and supportive leadership skills;
- Client relationship management and business development skills;
- Excel at coaching, mentoring and developing junior staff;
- Demonstrate sound judgement, strong problem solving and decision-making abilities.
What we can offer you:
- A competitive compensation package effective on your first day of employment, including:
- Comprehensive health and dental benefits featuring a health care spending account, empowering staff to customize healthcare coverage to better suit their individual needs
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan with employer contributions
- Generous vacation allowance commensurate with experience
- Employee ownership potential
- Employer contributions towards maternity leave top-up
- Health and wellness Incentive
- Professional membership dues reimbursement
- Education and lifelong learning subsidization
- Community volunteering incentive
- Employee Family Assistance Program
What’s in it for you?
- Flexible hours and locations to support work/life balance, including hybrid or remote options;
- Diverse teams with a wide range of experience and expertise;
- Exposure to a broad variety of projects;
- Support to develop skills and pursue projects related to your own interests;
- Collaboration with industry leading experts across multi-disciplined teams;
- Mentoring opportunities to foster your personal and professional development;
- Accessible and central offices in Atlantic Canada and Ottawa;
- Access to training opportunities in areas ranging from technical development to leadership skills.
As an employee-owned firm, our people are everything. We are committed to promoting inclusivity and diversity for a workplace where everyone can thrive, and we build long-term relationships with our clients while providing them with innovative solutions.
We embrace a culture of belonging in the workplace. No matter who you are, where you’re from, how you think, what you believe in, or who you love, we welcome your application. We all come from different backgrounds and different walks of life, bringing in unique perspectives and experiences. We encourage applications from 2SLGBTQ+, Black, Indigenous, and People of Colour (BIPOC), women, newcomers to Canada, and people with disabilities. If you require any accommodation in the application and interview process, please let us know (including different materials or otherwise).