SaltWire Network is a prominent media company based in Atlantic Canada. As an influential player in the media landscape, SaltWire Network is committed to delivering impactful stories that resonate with communities across the Atlantic provinces. Become part of the dynamic and collaborative team, that is shaping the narrative of local and regional news.
SaltWire Network is seeking a Chief People Officer (CPO) to join their team. Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, this role will be responsible for driving the people function, culture, structure, and policies. As a strategic partner, the CPO will provide expertise and direction for the full scope of the HR function, aligning it with the organization’s mission and strategic goals. Reporting to the COO, the CPO will collaborate with the Executive Team to execute the organizational goals and serve as a thought partner to the CEO, COO, and Executive Team. The CPO will lead and mentor the HR team, ensuring timely and effective handling of daily HR operations.
- Develop and implement a human resources plan aligned with SaltWire’s mission and strategy to build a high-performing culture of success, accountability, transparency, and collaboration.
- Act as a strategic partner to the Executive Team, providing innovative thinking and problem-solving on critical HR issues.
- Optimize the HR function and refine key processes to achieve strategic objectives.
- Provide HR guidance on projects, analytics, training, change management, diversity, inclusion, and organizational design.
- Proactively manage resource allocation, recruitment, and assimilation of high-potential talent.
- Enhance talent attraction, retention, development, and succession through effective people initiatives and processes.
- Oversee compensation practices, including salary benchmarking and surveys.
- Guide the HR team in supporting Performance Management, Talent Acquisition, Health & Safety, Learning & Development, Engagement, Benefits, Rewards, Policy, and Compliance.
- Interact with vendors and external partners to maintain relationships and negotiate contracts.
- Partner with legal to ensure compliance and mitigate organizational risks.
Culture and Development
- Build relationships with SaltWire employees, offering advice and counsel on HR, cultural, and organizational issues.
- Executive sponsor of the Mental Health and Culture committees
- Coach and counsel executive to develop their teams for improved performance and engagement.
- Provide guidance to managers and staff in addressing concerns while ensuring compliance with labor regulations and fair treatment.
- Coach and mentor colleagues/managers to develop leadership bench strength. • Mediate employee relations and performance issues, providing guidance on performance management.
- Exemplify SaltWire’s core values and demonstrate consistent leadership at all levels within the organization.
Key Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree required. Advanced degree or MBA preferred. HR certifications helpful (CPHR).
- 15+ years of relevant business experience, with at least 10+ years in progressive HRBP leadership roles, including 2-3 years leading an HR function.
- Experience managing people and teams of various sizes for at least 3 years.
- Solid knowledge of all facets of HR
- Strong business acumen and ability to utilize HR data and metrics in Finance, Legal, IT, payroll, and administration.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills tailored to various audiences.
Other Skills and Attributes
- Demonstrated capability to adapt and innovate HR practices for a fast-paced, entrepreneurial organization.
- Results-driven, agile, and change-oriented, able to lead in an evolving environment. • Ability to drive initiatives with limited resources and a hands-on approach to achieve desired results.
- Personal integrity, fairness, and credibility to gain trust and commitment across all levels of the organization.
- Track record of building strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders and fostering partnerships.
- Empathetic and engaging, actively listening, responsive, solution-focused, and results-oriented.
If you are ready to make a significant impact as The Chief People Officer at SaltWire Network, you can submit your cover letter and resume to Shardeigh McGillivray at email@example.com and Nada Halaweh at firstname.lastname@example.org
SaltWire Network and Venor embrace a culture of belonging in the workplace. No matter who you are, where you’re from, how you think, what you believe in, or who you love, your application is welcome. Diversity is appreciated and there is understanding that we all come from different backgrounds and different walks of life, bringing in unique perspectives and experiences. Applications from 2SLGBTQ+, Black, Indigenous, and People of Colour (BIPOC), women, newcomers to Canada, and people with disabilities are encouraged. If you require any accommodation in the application and interview process, please let us know.