Venor is proud to partner with The Municipality of Chester in their search for a Civil Engineering Technologist. The Civil Engineering Technologist provides assistance on a variety of engineering projects and working on construction supervision and design tasks as well as other general office and field assignments. The Civil Engineering Technologist will coordinate on various assigned public works operations and capital construction projects. The scope of these projects is diverse and includes work on public works infrastructure such as roads, sewer and drainage systems, public works buildings and parks, as well as work with the Kaizer Meadow Environmental Management Facility.
The Municipality of the District of Chester is committed to workplace safety and all employees are expected to actively participate in the Municipality’s Occupational Health and Safety Policy and Program and Occupational Health and Safety Legislation as well as Regulations of the Provinces of Nova Scotia. The Municipality of the District of Chester complies with the Employment Legislation of Nova Scotia and all employees are also expected to act in accordance with the appropriate Legislation as well.
- Assist with a building maintenance program and coordinate, facilitate, and manage the maintenance of all Municipal buildings or assets.
- Assist with the department’s work plan; serve as project manager/coordinator on capital infrastructure and operating projects; prepare plans, designs, specifications, and estimates.
- Prepare and monitor projects; conduct field and site inspections, in relation to both operations and capital projects, ensuring work is performed in a safe, timely and professional manner.
- Review of construction progress for general conformance with approved drawings and specifications for various project types.
- Assist in developing and managing infrastructure operating programs; conduct engineering and design of the infrastructure extensions to include sewer, water, storm sewer, street, sidewalk, and curb and gutter, in accordance with established guidelines, acts and regulations.
- Provide professional advice, guidance and support for Accessibility related projects and coordinates with other staff, as necessary.
- Represent the Municipality on various committees, including the Accessibility Committee, as necessary.
- Prepare and administers servicing and encroachment agreements, reviews specifications for various needs studies and provides technical expertise and support with the preparation and administration of development and subdivision agreements.
- Assist with the operation and maintenance of the various wastewater plants and fire protection system, by completing routine maintenance and testing as required, which may include weekend work (i.e. serve as an alternate in the weekend rotation).
- Assist with the development and maintenance of a Municipal-wide Asset Management Program.
As the ideal candidate, you are proficient with computer software programs related to areas of municipal servicing, project engineering/planning or project coordination and administration in accordance with job responsibilities. You are versed in MS Office Suites and have working knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and other relevant Provincial statutes and regulations, in accordance with job responsibilities. You are someone who has excellent interpersonal, organizational, analytical/interpretive, and oral and written communication skills. As the Engineering Technologist you have the ability to deal courteously and effectively with internal staff, external agencies, public, consultants, developers, builders, and contractors etc.
As the successful candidate, you have a post-secondary diploma in Civil Engineering Technology or other related post-secondary education, paired with five (5) years’ experience in a municipal environment or other similar relevant experience is preferred. You possess a valid Class “G” driver’s license in good standing with access to a reliable vehicle for Municipal business. You have a certification as a C. Tech, or the ability to obtain certification within a reasonable time. Geographical Information System (i.e. ArcView) and AutoCAD Civil 3D experience considered an asset. Level 1 Wastewater Treatment and Collection Certifications are considered an asset, or if you have ability to obtain them. As the Civil Engineering Technologist, you have training in accessibility standards and practices, with preference given to those who have obtained certification from Rick Hansen Foundation.
At Venor, we value and celebrate diversity. We welcome applications from all individuals of any race, color, religion, gender identity, orientation, national origin, or disability status.
For further details on this role, please reach out to Erika Hildebrand via email@example.com