Venor is proud to partner with our client in their search for a Controller. Our client is an entrepreneurial firm in the construction industry that has seen significant growth over the past few years.
Reporting to the President, the Controller will be responsible for overseeing all accounting functions (invoice approval/entry, customer billing, accounts payables, account receivables, payroll, cash management, etc.). The Controller will also assist with aspects of office management and oversight, as well as the facilitation of HR management.
What you’ll be doing
- Oversee bank and visa account reconciliations with the PT Accounting Manager
- Prepare monthly internal financial statements
- File government remittances – HST monthly and T5018 annually
- Prepare year end working paper file for external accountants
- Prepare financial reports as required by the partners
- Oversee/supervise all weekly payroll functions including entry to Ceridian and Sage and monthly union calculations, and employee records maintenance
- Oversee and partially manage the monthly billing and collections process – prepare cost analysis, bills and arrange payment, prepare statutory declarations
- Manage the accounts payable and daily cash flow report
- Maintain capital asset schedule and depreciation calculations
- Complete monthly WIP calculations
- Move externally prepared Excel documents into reports created from Sage accounting software
- Prepare long-term forecasts
- Streamline accounting processes
- Manage budgets, job records, and change orders in Sage 100 Contractor
Office Oversight & Management
- Ensure smooth day-to-day operations for the company, working closely with staff to manage various duties associated with operations
- Assist with the creation of an accounting operations manual
- Assist management with adoption/integration of the Emyth business management system over the next 12 months
- Coordinate the change order process with management, foremen and project managers
- Liaison periodically with the firm’s IT Consultant to ensure office technology is meeting needs of management and staff
- Oversee administrative safety duties including training record maintenance, interfacing with clients on safety matters and coordinating with our Safety Consultant weekly/bi-weekly on ongoing matters, site inspections, etc.
- Facilitate and build strong staff, client and vendor relationships
- Engage with team on project management for sites and other custom projects
Oversee and Facilitate HR Management
- Coordinate with PT accounting manager, management and the Union for hiring, termination and safety matters
- Oversee the maintenance of attendance records with PT Accounting Manager
- Coordinate group benefits with PT Accounting Manager
- Vacation approval for staff and oversee vacation calendar management
What we’re looking for
As the successful candidate, you are a designated accountant and is someone who can successfully collaborate with the team and can engage actively with all staff across the organization. You have excellent organization and communication skills, and have the ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
At Venor, we embrace a culture of belonging in the workplace. No matter who you are, where you’re from, how you think, what you believe in, or who you love, we welcome your application. We all come from different backgrounds and different walks of life, bringing in unique perspectives and experiences. We encourage applications from 2SLGBTQ+, Black, Indigenous, and People of Colour (BIPOC), women, newcomers to Canada, and people with disabilities. If you require any accommodation in the application and interview process, please let us know (including different materials or otherwise).