Venor is proud to partner with our client, Ace Mechanical Limited and EFP Engineering, in their search for a Controller. Ace Mechanical Limited was founded in the late 1970’s and installs mechanical systems (plumbing, heating, ventilation and controls systems) in multi-unit residential buildings including apartments, condominiums, and hotels. EFP Engineering was founded in 2018 and provides mechanical and electrical design services for commercial, institutional and multi-unit residential buildings. Both companies have been involved with many high profile construction projects in Halifax, have a healthy level of contracted projects and maintain a strong client base.
Reporting to the President, the Controller is responsible for overseeing all accounting functions (invoice approval/entry, customer billing, accounts payables, account receivables, payroll, cash management, etc.). The Controller will also assist with aspects of office management and oversight, as well as the facilitation of HR management.
- Oversee bank and visa account reconciliations with the PT Accounting Manager
- Prepare monthly internal financial statements
- File government remittances – HST monthly and T5018 annually
- Prepare year end working paper file for external accountants
- Prepare financial reports as required by the partners
- Oversee/supervise all weekly payroll functions including entry to Ceridian and Sage and monthly union calculations, and employee records maintenance
- Oversee and partially manage the monthly billing and collections process – prepare cost analysis, bills and arrange payment, prepare statutory declarations
- Manage the accounts payable and daily cash flow report
- Maintain capital asset schedule and depreciation calculations
- Complete monthly WIP calculations
- Move externally prepared Excel documents into reports created from Sage accounting software
- Prepare long-term forecasts
- Streamline accounting processes
- Manage budgets, job records, and change orders in Sage 100 Contractor
Office Oversight & Management
- Ensure smooth day-to-day operations for Ace Mechanical and EFP Engineering working closely with staff to manage various duties associated with operations
- Assist with the creation of an accounting operations manual
- Assist management with adoption/integration of the Emyth business management system over the next 12 months
- Coordinate the change order process with management, foremen and project managers
- Liaison periodically with the firm’s IT Consultant to ensure office technology is meeting needs of management and staff
- Oversee administrative safety duties including training record maintenance, interfacing with clients on safety matters and coordinating with our Safety Consultant weekly/bi-weekly on ongoing matters, site inspections, etc.
- Facilitate and build strong staff, client and vendor relationships
- Engage with team on project management for sites and other custom projects
Oversee and Facilitate HR Management
- Coordinate with PT accounting manager, management and the Union for hiring, termination and safety matters
- Oversee the maintenance of attendance records with PT Accounting Manager
- Coordinate group benefits with PT Accounting Manager
- Vacation approval for staff and oversee vacation calendar management
As the successful candidate, you are a designated accountant and are someone who can successfully actively collaborate with our team and can engage actively with all staff across the organization. You have excellent organization and communication skills, and have the ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
At Venor, we value and celebrate diversity. We welcome applications from all individuals of any race, color, religion, gender identity, orientation, national origin, or disability status.
For more information on this role with Ace Mechanical Limited, please reach out to Partner, Ian Sullivan via email@example.com