Venor is proud to partner with Binogi on their search for a DevOps Engineer in Halifax, NS! Binogi creates educational animated videos and interactive quizzes, tailored to the school curriculum in countries around the world. Students, teachers, and parents can learn, play, and be inspired through Binogi’s web and mobile apps. Binogi is a passionate company who believes that knowledge should be shared, and they strive to be students’ first choice when it comes to learning tools.
What you’ll be doing
We are looking for a DevOps Engineer who wants to support Binogi’s development teams and customers in an innovative way by developing and optimizing their DevOps tools. Your ability to pivot when necessary is crucial and your responsibilities will include supporting the innovation of the company’s infrastructure as well as the existing technology stack.
Regular responsibilities include:
- Triage, troubleshoot, and resolve issues with system availability, latency, or security
- Addressing critical production issues across the infrastructure (ECS, MySQL, …) and applications (PHP, Laravel, React, …)
- Ensure system capacity is being monitored and considered in planning
- Ensure Incidents assigned to the team are being managed within agreed SLAs
- Participate in a 24x7x365 on-call rotation
- Support new product implementations as well as existing solutions
- Establishing engineering practices, crucially including a high level of automation, fast deployment and fail-early tests
- Participate in the company’s development of existing products by improving infrastructure quality, robustness, security, and scalability
- Participate in the team’s agile workflow rituals – daily standup, releases, retrospectives, code reviews, etc.
What we’re looking for
We’re looking for someone who strives to develop high-quality solutions, and are not afraid of taking on responsibilities for related tasks such as automation, integration with other internal or external services as well as infrastructure and agile/project management roles within the Binogi Tech team.
Technical Requirements are as follows:
- 2+ years of experience working with AWS
- Experience with one or more backend web languages (Binogi’s applications run predominantly in Docker containers on AWS ECS)
- Experience with MySQL (RDS), Memcache, SQS, load balancers, CloudFront and S3 is considered an asset
Other nice to haves:
- Superb written and verbal communication and being comfortable working with multiple departments within the company
- Self-driven but the willingness and ability to work within a team environment
- Highly motivated and energized about the work you’re doing
- Proven problem-solving skills and the ability to adapt in a changing environment
- Top-notch organization and time-management skills
What’s in it for you
Flexibility – Work from the Binogi office space or your couch. The choice is yours!
Time Away – Binogi offers its employees 4 weeks of paid vacation to allow you to decompress and come back to work feeling refreshed.
Impact – As the first DevOps hire for the company, you have the ability to make an increasingly large contribution to the company and its tech. On top of that, you are helping to get learning materials in front of children across the world!
At Venor and Binogi, we embrace a culture of belonging in the workplace. No matter who you are, where you’re from, how you think, what you believe in, or who you love, we welcome your application. We all come from different backgrounds and different walks of life, bringing in unique perspectives and experiences. We encourage applications from 2SLGBTQ+, Black, Indigenous, and People of Colour (BIPOC), women, newcomers to Canada, and people with disabilities. If you require any accommodation in the application and interview process, please let us know (including different materials or otherwise).
Interested candidates can reach out to Anna Bryant via email@example.com and/or Nick Misener via firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.