NSHEPP is one of the largest registered pension plans in Nova Scotia, serving over 52,000 active members and 15,000 retirees, with over 90 participating employers at 100+ sites throughout Nova Scotia. A jointly sponsored defined benefit pension plan established in 1961, NSHEPP provides the benefits of a secure, tax-effective way to enhance retirement income for its members.
Reporting to the Manager of Finance and Administration, the Finance Officer will work closely with a cohesive finance team, where they will manage several diverse financial functions to ensure the organization’s overall financial objectives are met. Collaboratively working with all departments, the Finance Officer will complement organizational workflows and efficiencies. Taking a detailed, organized approach the Finance Officer will have the opportunity to organically grow within a progressive group as the finance team develops.
- Input, review, and sort a high volume of remittance payments.
- Monitor and record incoming financial instruments and liaise with internal departments.
- Retrieve and sort a high volume of incoming banking certificates from retirement and termination departments including the analysis and retro input into CRM internal software.
- Learn and master the custodian platform for monitoring controls.
- Review outstanding cheque reports received quarterly and escalate any balances to the Senior Finance Analyst nearing stale dates. Pull related files for follow-up.
- Receive annual listing from Senior Finance Analyst – review member status and previous attempts at fulfillment. Assist in updating the record-tracking system and backup documentation.
- Review all recurring deadlines with each member of the finance team and help develop a centralized task manual outlining all non-negotiable responsibility dates.
- Coordinate calendars for investor meetings, holiday coverage, etc.
- Manage SharePoint file structure and ensure electronic documents are kept up to date.
- Assist with the preparation and coordination of annual audit reports with the external auditor.
- Assist with accounts payable input, tracking, and review.
- Maintain strong, positive working relationships with key stakeholders such as custodians, external auditors, internal departments, investment managers, employer facilities members, and retirees.
- Assist Pension Officers with payment inquiries.
- Perform other ad-hoc reporting as requested from finance team members.
As the ideal candidate, you possess a bachelor’s degree in commerce with a major in accounting and finance or a related field, along with a minimum of five years of relevant work experience in the finance industry, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Demonstration of superior attention-to-detail, problem-solving, and written and oral communication skills, coupled with strong analysis, process improvement, and reporting skills are crucial attributes. The successful candidate will be self-motivated, showcasing their robust organizational skills and the ability to prioritize tasks effectively. A proven ability to adapt to changing demands and priorities effectively is a key characteristic expected in this role. Advanced proficiency in the MS Office Suite is required, with a specific focus on Excel where expert-level proficiency is essential. Additionally, possession of or interest in pursuing a CPA designation is viewed as an asset.
In addition to a competitive compensation and benefits package, enrollment in a defined benefit pension plan, tuition assistance, and hybrid-friendly work options, NSHEPP offers the opportunity to join a supportive and collaborative team environment within an organization dedicated to cultivating a positive workplace culture and offering ample opportunities for growth and development.
Venor and NSHEPP embrace a culture of belonging in the workplace. We encourage applications from Indigenous-Mi’kmaw, African Nova Scotians, African Canadians, and People of Colour (BIPOC), as well as newcomers to Canada, individuals with disabilities, and members of the 2SLGBTQ community. If you require any accommodation in the application and interview process, please let us know (including varied materials or otherwise).
Alternatively, if applying directly via this posting and you wish to attach a cover letter, please ensure to attach in one document with your resume when attaching to your submission.