Dedicated to bringing safe and secure networks to professionals, enterprises and manufacturers - Byos is changing the foundation of how we view online security. Founded by successful start-up veterans, Byos is closing industry gaps, creating a portable secure gateway for users to access Wi-Fi safely in public. After noticing a continually growing remote workforce, Byos has created a one of a kind solution to security breaches, keeping your data safe from attackers - all in the palm of your hand. Byos’ technology provides Wi-Fi protection, controlled access, private DNS queries, attack containment, ad and tracker blocking and more. As they continue to grow their Halifax office, Byos is looking to expand their team of market disruptors and is seeking a Head of Engineering.
Byos is looking for their Head of Engineering (HoE) to lead and manage the entire technical team. For the first year or so of this role, the HoE, will be approximately 80-90% hands on the code, writing, managing, and reviewing technical projects completed to date. As the role progresses and the team grows, this role will increase its management responsibilities. They're looking for someone who is passionate about and experienced in writing code in C and working on a tight-knit team, leading teams, and shouldering responsibility for delivering results.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Work with the CEO and the Lead Product Architect on a daily basis to lead, manage, and execute on the technical roadmaps.
- Growing and managing engineering teams, delivering high level results
- Working and thriving in a fast paced, agile, cross-functional organization
- Aligning technical strategy across groups, ensuring product quality, team velocity and health
- Mentoring and growing technical leaders;
- Insightful understanding of the software design/architecture process
- Work closely with Product Managers, Business Analysts, Architects to define business requirements, develop and document technical solutions, and provide engineering estimates for planning
- Manage and prioritize the workload of developers and engineers, and set measurable objectives for the team and guide/help them to achieve the goals
- Keen ability to take high-level direction, work through ambiguity and drive to execution in an iterative model
- Design and implement software of embedded devices and systems from requirements to production and commercial deployment. Design, develop, code, test and debug system software; Review code and design
- Analyze and enhance efficiency, stability and scalability of system resources
- Integrate and validate new product designs
- Support software QA and optimize I/O performance and provide post production support
- Interface with hardware design and development
Qualifications and Skills
- 10+ years of software development experience with a balanced focus on building scalable back-end services and performant front-end UIs.
- Experience with the SDLC and post-launch Production support; and experience with iterative software development life-cycle methodologies and frameworks such as Agile, SCRUM, Test Driven Development, etc.
- Previous experience with hardware products and embedded code is considered an asset.
- Technical leadership and mentoring experience is considered an Asset
- Languages: C, Python3, Bash, lua
- Databases: MariaDB/MySQL, NoSQL
- Operating Systems: Linux, OSX, Windows, POSIX. Experience with UNIX is an asset
- Cloud Environments (Azure DevOps)
- Proficiency in deploying and maintaining web services NGINX
- Knowledge of software automation production systems, including code deployment
- Knowledge of Web Servers, Web Services, and APIs
- Usage of repositories (Github), methodologies (Kanban, Agile) and project and issue tracking systems (Jira)
- Previous experience with high-performance and high-availability open source web technologies
- Excellent knowledge of OS coding techniques, IP and other networking protocols, interfaces and hardware
- Strong documentation and writing skills
- Bonus - Experience with GraphQL, Serverless, Kubernetes, Google Cloud Platform, Rails, Python, and Docker (separate projects)
Benefits and Perks
- Byos offers a competitive salary, health and dental benefits package and stock options for hard work and dedication. We have a casual dress code and flexible working hours.
- They work out of Volta, Canada's East Coast Innovation Hub. Volta has many free events, and has a tight-knit community, and has a ping pong and foosball on site.
If this opportunity is of interest to you, please reach out to Craig Coady via email@example.com OR Nick Misener via firstname.lastname@example.org