Invest Nova Scotia is Nova Scotia’s business development agency that works to promote economic growth and community economic development in the province by enabling business, innovation, sustainability and entrepreneurship. We are Nova Scotians supporting businesses small and large; new and new to our province.
Start-ups are a key focus area for Invest Nova Scotia, and we support them through venture capital, incubation facilities, expert advice, and other acceleration initiatives.
We’re especially interested in deep technology start-ups, which we define as those based on a scientific discovery, new engineering innovation, or IT that is not focused on end-user services. Target sectors include clean technology (i.e., low-carbon products and processes for all sectors), life sciences (e.g., medical devices, digital health, therapeutics), information technology, and ocean technology.
Invest Nova Scotia makes equity investments directly in start-ups and in privately managed funds. A team of investment professionals identifies prospective investments and conducts all aspects of the investment review, approval and closing cycle. An independent investment committee, made up of individuals from the private sector with expertise in venture capital and relevant technology sectors, helps ensure the Invest Nova Scotia team makes sound investment decisions.
We are seeking an Investment Principal. Reporting to the Vice President of Investment, the Investment Principal actively seeks seed and early stage investment opportunities in Nova Scotia that offer the best potential for commercial success and financial sustainability. Highly motivated and passionate about developing the region’s start-up community, the investment principal is capable of providing strategic guidance to support the growth of promising early stage technology companies. The successful candidate must demonstrate a broad knowledge of topics related to one of the following industries: clean technology, ocean technology, agriculture technology or industrial biotechnology. Ideally, the incumbent has experience in venture capital and has demonstrated the ability to effectively interact with entrepreneurs, private industry, various levels of government, angel and institutional investors, academic institutions, and industry associations.
- Generating deal flow by proactively identifying attractive seed and early stage investment opportunities.
- Leading all aspects of the investment process, including screening opportunities, due diligence approvals, and deal closing.
- Preparing internal documents and presenting investment opportunities to the investment committee.
- Supporting portfolio companies, helping them accelerate their growth, achieve milestones and secure additional financing.
- Serving on portfolio company boards or in an observer role.
- Participating in portfolio monitoring, fund administration and reporting activities.
- Raising Invest Nova Scotia’s profile in the venture capital, business and academic communities.
- Supervising more junior team members.
Education and Experience:
- Degree in science, engineering and/or business; graduate degree preferred.
- CFA or similar designation would be an asset.
- Five to 10 years of relevant work experience.
- Ability to assess investment opportunities (e.g., conducting due diligence, scientific and market analysis, and financial modeling) and prepare internal documents.
- Experience at a venture capital firm or in an operating role at a start-up.
- Experience completing investment/financing transactions, either within private equity, as a business founder/manager, or as part of a financial intermediary, would be an asset.
A superb communicator (written and oral), you are accessible and approachable and can build rapport with all types of people. You demonstrate confidence to operate independently in the marketplace, foster relationships, and build respect in all dealings. You effectively distill complex technological terms into plain language, actively contribute when debating opportunities, and have tact and sensitivity when delivering difficult messages to clients. You have sound judgment, particularly in valuation matters, with strong analytical skills and the ability to talk through deals comprehensively.
If you are a team player with leadership capability, a results-oriented approach, and the aptitude to excel in a fast-paced and ever-changing entrepreneurial environment, this may be the career move for you.
Invest Nova Scotia is committed to embracing diversity and fostering a workplace that is reflective of the multicultural and global community in which we operate. We welcome applications from Aboriginal people, African Nova Scotians, and other racially visible persons, persons with disabilities and persons who identify in the LGBTQ+ community. If you are a member of one of the groups who reflect the diversity of Canadian society, you are encouraged to self-identify on either your cover letter or resume.
Other reasons you would want to join Invest Nova Scotia for this great opportunity include flexible work arrangements, comprehensive health and dental benefits, and of course the opportunity to work with a team committed to supporting amazing entrepreneurs and companies! Interested candidates can send their resume to Shardeigh McGillivray via firstname.lastname@example.org