Venor is proud to partner with The Nova Scotia Utility and Review Board on their search for a seasoned Electrical Engineer to join their Advisory team.
The Nova Scotia Utility and Review Board (NSUARB) is an independent body that ensures customers receive safe and reliable service at reasonable prices by regulating and establishing rates for public utilities (ex: electric, water, and natural gas utilities), gasoline, diesel, auto insurance, and more. The NSUARB is recognized as a trusted, leading adjudicative and regulatory tribunal. To learn more about the NSUARB check out their website here.
As the Senior Advisor, you will help discharge regulatory mandate primarily focusing on electric utilities. Reporting to the Managing Director of Advisory Services, you will work with the advisory team providing a broad scope of advisory, compliance and related services including, but not limited to:
- Providing strategic oversight and coordination of utility submissions including liaison with Board Counsel and Board consultants/expert witnesses.
- Providing economic and technical analysis and evaluations of utility capital expenditure requests.
- Reviewing filings for identification of regulatory issues and compliance with regulations and Board directives.
- Analyzing rate applications to assess impact on ratepayers.
- Acting as a Board representative at technical conferences.
- Participating in the development and implementation of policies.
- Providing support to Board Counsel during hearings by drafting briefing notes and development of questions for cross examination.
- Identifying, managing and coordinating the activities of expert witnesses and consultants.
- Receiving, researching, and assisting in resolving complaints against utilities.
- Providing general information within their area of expertise to other staff, Board members, parties at proceedings, the public, and act as a liaison with industry, government, or others.
Qualifications and Attributes:
- Electrical Engineering degree from a recognized University.
- P.Eng. qualification with a minimum of 7 years post-designation experience, primarily within a progressive electrical utility or a utility regulatory body.
- Demonstrated ability to understand the interrelationships among various utility functions, e.g., rate design, capital program, demand-side management (DSM), beneficial electrification, procurement, contract management, reliability performance analysis, renewable resources.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively probe and assess the impact of underlying issues which may not be readily evident.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with a committed approach that shows initiative and adaptability.
- Highly developed analytical and problem resolution skills with the ability to convey complex concepts clearly and simply.
- Maintain strict confidentiality and exercise tact, discretion, and diplomacy.
- Understand and interpret relevant statutes and regulations.
- Experience providing consulting or advisory services generally associated with grid integration of renewable resources or efficiency and conservation initiatives.
- Extensive knowledge and experience in utility engineering, operations, planning and economics.
- Considerable knowledge of the utility regulatory environment and hearing processes.
- Utility financial analysis training (or equivalent).
An acceptable combination of education and experience may be considered. Please clearly indicate in your resume or covering letter how you meet the qualifications and requirements for this position.
We embrace a culture of belonging in the workplace. No matter who you are, where you’re from, how you think, what you believe in, or who you love, your application is welcome. Diversity is appreciated and there is an understanding that we all come from different backgrounds and different walks of life, bringing in unique perspectives and experiences. Applications from 2SLGBTQ+, Black, Indigenous, and People of Colour (BIPOC), women, newcomers to Canada, and people with disabilities are encouraged. If you require any accommodation in the application and interview process, please let us know.
If you are interested in this opportunity please reach out to Andrea Murray via email@example.com