Venor has partnered with Byos, a well-funded start-up based in Halifax, NS looking to add a Senior Applications Software Engineer to its expanding team. Byos Inc. develops hardware and software for endpoint security products. Their current offering, the Micro Gateway, has recently launched and is receiving positive market feedback. On their behalf, we are looking for a Senior Applications Software Engineer who can securely connect the dots between the power of our product and the needs and demands of customers.
We are looking for an intermediate to senior applications software engineer who is experienced in building large scale software applications consisting of multiple services. They should be familiar with common design patterns and anti-patterns in event-driven systems. They must understand typical paradigms of high-level, managed memory programming languages. They should have an understanding of both functional and object-oriented languages. Comprehensive knowledge of Linux and Python is desirable. The candidate will be familiar with the unit and integration testing best practices, and be able to contribute to and maintain project-specific software test and delivery pipelines. A strong candidate will provide valuable guidance in both the design and implementation of software solutions through both document and code reviews. They will contribute to the software team’s continuous improvement and help build a robust agile SDLC. They must be comfortable with a scrum environment and deliver high-quality solutions that meet the agreed-upon definition of done. They will write the core software for the Byos security products.
What you’ll be doing:
- Developing robust large-scale applications for both Linux user space and cloud infrastructure
- Writing high-quality readable code that follows best practices
- Producing tests and proof of work that work towards a continuous delivery model
- Refining the backlog identifying work items to ensure work is well-scoped and estimated
- Helping to develop and contribute to a robust CI/CD pipeline
- Working with the Director of Engineering to plan and execute on technical roadmaps
- Producing high-quality design documentation to present to project stakeholders and new hires
What we are looking for:
- Expert-level development skills in at least one language, and have interest in other languages
- Knowledgeable of Python and have used it to write large applications
- Familiar with writing Linux user space applications and working with services
- You enjoy confidently giving and receiving constructive criticism on ideas, collaborating on design decisions and keeping up to date on emerging cloud technologies
- Aware and experienced with the tools and challenges of event-driven applications
- Experience with system testing at both the unit and integration level
- Well-versed in Linux yet able to develop platform-agnostic software
- Comfortable in an agile environment and embracing the iterative process
What’s in it for you:
- Office in Volta – Canada’s East Coast Innovation Hub.
- Health, Dental, and Professional coverage for you and your family start immediately.
- Flexible working hours/environment with generous home office allowance.
- One paid holiday per month + ‘Holiday Shutdown’ between Christmas and New Years.
- Three weeks’ vacation (in addition to holiday shut down).
At Venor, we embrace a culture of belonging in the workplace. No matter who you are, where you’re from, how you think, what you believe in, or who you love, we welcome your application. We all come from different backgrounds and different walks of life, bringing in unique perspectives and experiences. We encourage applications from 2SLGBTQ+, Black, Indigenous, and People of Colour (BIPOC), women, newcomers to Canada, and people with disabilities. If you require any accommodation in the application and interview process, please let us know (including different materials or otherwise).